Friday, April 25, 2008

Negative Space


Hey all--Still needing to graqde papers, collect portfolios, finalize grades, and write a 20 page paper, but I thought I'd update.

One of the novels we've read is Jacob's Room by Virginia Woolf, wherein the main character is never really actually present. The novel forms a sort of world with a Jacob-shaped hole in it. It's an interesting concept for a novel and one which appears to work for other art forms as well.

James here in my grad office twigged me onto the Garfield minus Garfield website, which republishes the generally yawn-worthy Garfield comic, only with the animals edited out. The result is a grand improvement on the strip. Click on the link and see if I lie. April 2 was a good day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The April 2 cartoon is all the more hilarious to a mother who persuaded her child to put a toy with a suction cup on his forehead. When said child pulled it off, he was left with a big ol' red forehead mark. Just imagine the mother's embarassment when said child had to explain to the teacher the next day...

Kristen said...

When I was a child Garfield was one of my favorites. I don't know what happened...