Friday, December 29, 2006

Travelbug, travelbug...

The household chores are stacking up (the woodwork that never goes away, the fireplace brick, the foundation paint and foundation mortar, cleaning out the basement, hooking up the vent stack to my kitchen sink, restoring my lamps, rewiring a living room light fixture, having insulation blown in, etc) and I've been kinda at leisure for the past 3 weeks, so that means I'm starting to think about traveling somewhere where I couldn't possibly work on the house even if I wanted to--which, if memory serves, is precisely when I feel the compunction to do household chores. If the student loan thing comes through, I'll be able to have some Cashdolla to pay the bills with and will take some of the sting out of the daily grind.Should I go somehwere, or shoudl I just sit at home and mow the lawn and start a garden? All those maps in the desk drawer [Romania, Hungary, Slovenia, and other inexpensive places] will only get out of date. And we really can't have that, can we?

2 comments:

Kristen said...

What the heck is a "vent stack" and why does it need to be hooked up to your kitchen sink?

La Clueless

Davo said...

A vent stack is that pipe you see sticking out of people's roofs above the kitchen and bathroom--it allows sewer gas, should it build up, to vent harmlessly to the air above rather than bubble up through your sink trap, resulting in nasty odors in the affected area. It also keeps your sink from gurgling when the water runs out after doing dishes.
Sincerely,
Bob Vila